Monday, July 6, 2009

I Respect Your Right to Hold that Opinion - Now Get Out...

That's basically the gist of the response (with a few exceptions) whenever I've told someone I'm atheist. It never matters that I was the same person I was when walked in the door. It never matters that I've helped the helpless cross the street safely, given money / food to the homeless, or done something as simple as listened politely while supposed theists have, without apology, spewed vitriolic rhetoric, while defending and promoting a deity that is supposedly averse to such outbursts.

It never matters that I brought the pie they're eating, talked about the game engagingly, go to work everyday and pay my bills on time, have taught kids at summer camp, etc., etc. All that matters now is that despite everything else that says I'm a regular guy, this one thing suddenly makes me evil beyond evil. One, seemingly nice old black lady, once hurried away from me when I enlightened her after she petitioned me to attend her church. I replied that I could and would not, and after she pressed me at length, I informed her of my stance on organized religion and the idea of Gods overseeing us, by use of that abhorrent and reprehensible term: atheist. The woman then made it her immediate and pressing business to vacate my presence and barely let me complete my sentence once the word had parted my lips.

And so, to paraphrase a popular movie line, what we seem to have here is a failure to understand. So often, when you utter the very word atheist, people will recoil as if Satan has just entered into the room. Sometimes, the reaction is so visceral, I half-expect people to hiss and form a makeshift cross out of some found object in the immediate area. And this is a serious problem, because not only do those who hate us, hate us (that's one problem), those who hate us do so without even actually understanding what it is they are hating. It's one thing to not care for peanut butter (as I do), but I have a full understanding of peanut butter. It is a spread made from peanuts with some other minor ingredients added (oil, salt, etc.). I simply don't care for it. But I don't hate it. Believe it or not, hate is a positive emotion. Not because it is good, but rather, it is positive in that it causes people to take action. People who don't care for something, stay away from it. People who hate something, actively seek to eliminate it.

In the case of Atheists, few care for us, and fewer care to understand us, in the United States at least. And being a black atheist, well, now I've exponentially increased the vitriol. Because, among the many things black people (and black men in particular) are not supposed to be, atheist is probably number two on the list (after homosexual). My own God-fearing mother has one of each. Confessed and confirmed black atheists probably rate at less than one percent of the total black population in the US. Those of us in the closet for fear of ostracism probably still rate at around five percent or less. And why?

1. Why are there so few of us?
2. Why do the few of us who exist, feel we have to hide?

These are separate questions, but they are rooted in similar soil.

The number of black atheists is likely so low because the black community, as a whole, is so connected with "the church". Well, that's obvious, you say. Of course a highly religious group of people is going to have fewer atheists than a less religious group of people. No matter where you end up in life, everything one does is surrounded by church and "the Lord", etc. Black homes are littered with bibles, and black mothers have coined the phrases "Oh, Lord" and "Help me Jesus". One is raised to attend church every Sunday (even if we don't continue as adults), and the biggest family gatherings often revolve around church functions and gospel music. Even Tyler Perry makes frequent use of religion and Gospel music in his films and plays. Being without religion and without a belief in God in the black community is difficult to say the least. There is rarely a time when one is not being indoctrinated, as it were.

Even if you fail to truly believe in what you are being socialized into, you go to church anyway, where the minister tells of how one must "believe" to get into "heaven", and those who don't believe will go to "hell". Those who don't believe are equated with thieves and murderers and all the ills of society are laid upon them. And who wants to be a member of that group? In many black communities (especially in Africa) the atheist (along with the homosexual) is considered less than a dog on the street. And so, one continues to feign belief, or even to attempt belief, to remain in the good graces of the society.

This brings me to my next point: There are so many of us in the Theist closet because of the representation of atheism by believers. When it is discovered that one is an atheist, he is often considered a Satan-worshipper, which by its very consideration, intimates a lack of understanding on the part of the believer - atheists don't believe Satan exists either. I told my mother a long time ago that I don't believe God exists (I didn't use the word "atheist" however - as I know the inflammatory power of the term). One of her responses was "What do you believe in then, Satan?" Another response was "So you think you have all the answers, then?" She was not only repulsed, but genuinely offended. My mother's reaction approximates others I have received.

Theists cast aside atheists either (incorrectly) as Devil-worshippers or as people who consider themselves greater than God. Neither is true. To be greater than God implies the existence of one, and atheists lack a belief in any God or Gods. Therefore, for atheists to be able to come out of the closet about their belief (or lack thereof), there needs to be an understanding generated between theists and atheists. Atheists are not any more evil, depraved, or corrupt, than the equivalent theist is. We all know stories of those who praise the Lord all Sunday after engaging in debauchery all Saturday.

As well, atheism does not require analysis. Many want to analyze the atheist, particularly the black atheist, as confused, done-wrong, or other. If a person claims to be atheist, he has likely thought about it quite thoroughly. Especially if he is black. It is not a psychological problem or disorder. Anyone who has claimed to be an atheist in the manner of "There is no God! It's all over! I can do anything to anyone!" is not truly an atheist, but rather a depraved person. No true, thinking atheist would harm another person and predicate it solely on "There is no God".

An atheist is one thing, and one thing only: one who lacks a belief in a God or Gods. Both by percentage and literal quantity, atheists make up the smallest number of "problem" people in society. Black atheists even more so.

The key to black atheists coming out of the closet and to the easing of friction between atheists and theists is also simply one thing and one thing only: understanding.

But that's just the opinion of One Black Atheist.

3 comments:

  1. You make an excellent point. God fearing societies have reason to fear Him. Belief in God is most prominent amoung poor and war torn countries with the exception being the United States but Black Americans have fallen into the poor and war ravaged societies. Now, as we enjoy prosperity in the US, religion is becoming the Black folks' opiate. Religion in the US is the same tool Soviets tried to weld in removing religion. On a philosphical basis: it's a scary world if there is no great equalizer. Frankly, I think people fear your atheist ideas and the fear becomes hate of you for re-awaking the fear. Black people have very little justice here on earth, so they cling as all people do, to the comfort of an all mighty, all loving being that will give reward for every pain inflicted upon them. I just hope humans stop to see that we are the ones inflicting the pain and thus it is only us who can stop it. I've always loved the line: "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain," said by the man behind the curtain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks anonymous. Your writing style seems very familiar, but maybe you're not who I think you are. Either way, I appreciate your comment so early in the life of this blog. I didn't say as much as I wanted to, as I wanted to make my point, but still try and keep the essay interesting. I think the black community has a long way to go in dealing with, not the issues of homosexuality and atheism, but rather in how it DEALS with homosexuality and atheism. I'll gladly participate in that battle...

    --"Pay no attention to the man inside the computer"

    ReplyDelete
  3. When ANYONE asks me about my religious leanings - I let them know I am an ATHEIST proudly and loudly. I let our folks know that I think the cross is the number one symbol of white supremacy, that all preachers are liars, and just reading the Bible (straight - no interpreting chaser) will change any intelligent person into a non-believer.

    All this constant praying and praising to the almighty God that created this vast and wonderful universe in six days - and all niggers get in return is slavery, the ghetto, and "up with hope, down with dope?"

    That's it? It is time to give that white man's Bible back. When I say that to our folks, I don't bat an eye. And with the white people that have a problem with me being an Atheist - I also let them know that I am a member of the "Wrong Nigger Club."

    Don't fuck up.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it civil - or face deletion...